Go to Top

Blog Archives

Tag Archives: Income Tax Returns

HMRC Self Assessment: 31 January Deadline for Online Tax Returns

Your online self assessment tax return for 2017/8 must be with HM Revenue & Customs by midnight on 31 January 2019. (The paper deadline is 31 October 2018.) Remember that you will need time to sign up, which can take up to 7 working days in the UK and 21 days if you are setting up an account from abroad. If you owe less than £3000, you can get HMRC …Read More

HMRC targets Property Landlords

Property landlords are being specifically targeted for tax evasion by Revenue & Customs. Their ‘Let Property Campaign’ is a scheme aimed at landlords who have either misunderstood the tax rules or may even have deliberately evaded paying tax. The scheme commenced in December 2013 and continues to run.* It is intended to encourage property landlords to make voluntary disclosures to the HMRC regarding any undisclosed rental income. If you started to …Read More

Are you a high earner claiming child benefit without making a tax return?

A high income child benefit tax charge was introduced by HMRC on the 7th January 2013 and it took effect when one person in a household had an annual income of £50,000 (households with one person earning £60,000 or more lost the child benefit payment completely). People who claim child benefit with an individual income of over £50,000 per annum had until the 5th October 2013 to register for self assessment.  …Read More

Second Income Campaign by HMRC

A new voluntary disclosure opportunity was announced by HM Revenue & Customs on the 9th April 2014: if you are an employee, you are resident in the UK and you have additional self employed income that has not been declared to HMRC this is an opportunity to bring your tax affairs up to date. Consultants, Taxi drivers, Hairdressers, Arts & crafts … A second income may arise from many sources …Read More