In accordance with SRA Transparency Guidance 2018, please find below our approach to fees and service in relation to Debt Recovery.
What is this going to cost me?
These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed.
If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary which could be on a fixed fee or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Sending a letter before action
- Dealing with payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
- Where no Acknowledgement of Service or Defence is received, applying to the Court to enter Judgment in Default
- When Judgment in Default is received, writing to the other side to request payment
- If payment is not received within 14 days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs.
Disbursements are expenses that are payable to third parties. We handle the payment of disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
For the avoidance of doubt, disbursement payments are in addition to our charges for advice and are not included as part of our above fee.
We may require payment on account to cover disbursements before those are incurred, in which case we will give reasonable notice when those funds are required.
What happens if I change my mind and don’t want to go through with the transaction anymore?
Should you wish to terminate the transaction at any time, you will be liable for any costs and disbursements incurred to date, and will be billed for them.
How long will it take?
Matters usually take 2 to 12 weeks from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side depending on whether or not it is necessary to issue a claim. This is on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgment in Default.
If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.
Who is going to do this work for me and what is their experience?
The work will be carried out by one or more of our lawyers in the Litigation & Disputes Team.